Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Blast From The Past....With Back to the Future!

What you see here is an original movie ticket stub to Back to the Future: Part I.  Interestingly, this epic piece of cinema memorabilia is only nine days old:


That's right--a week ago last Friday, Lagoon Cinema in uptown offered a midnight showing of the original Back to the Future movie, one of my all-time favorites.  Despite the less-than-ideal, way-past-my-bedtime start time, it didn't take much arm twisting to get me in that theater.  And I'm a person who goes to a movie an average of once every eighteen months...I usually just don't have the attention span to watch a movie in the dark for that long.


I somehow missed my chance to catch the movie on the big screen when it first came out back in 1985, but I was one year old, so you can't blame me too much.  By now, I'd resigned myself to the fact the the only chance I'll ever have to see Back to the Future in the theater rests on the hope that someone actually invents a functioning flux capacitor.



Even though I've seen the movie at least fifteen times and practically have the script memorized, I had no trouble staying awake until 2AM. (The one-hour nap I took at 8PM that night didn't hurt, either).  Other attendees at the event gave the movie at least one thumb up:


Seeing that time-traveling Delorean again also got me thinking about options for the eventual replacement for the Malibu.  What fights rust better than stainless steel?  Absolutely nothing. And no one can make fun of the color of a stainless steel car. It turns out that the original price for the DMC-12 was only $12,000 (hence the 12 in name of the model), with higher-end versions going for $25,000.

When I saw that, I figured I might as well pick one up right away.  But I forgot about inflation...the Wikipedia article mentioned that $25,000 in the early 80s is equivalent to about $64,000 in today's dollars.  Worse yet, the DMC-12's engine is woefully underpowered at 130HP, and the speedometer only goes up to 85mph!  How could I possibly travel through time if the engine explodes before I can get the car up to 88mph?!


So that dream's already over. But the Delorean is still a great looking car, and I'm thinking about ripping the doors off the Malibu and reattaching the hinges at the top so they open like the Delorean...

No comments:

Post a Comment