Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Blog Post That (Almost) Never Existed

Today marks the return of our old friend, Daylight Saving Time.  To honor light's annual victory over darkness, I considered taking advantage of the time change by writing "The Blog Post That Never Existed," starting this particular blog post at 1AM and clicking "Publish" one hour later when the clocks sprung ahead.  College kids celebrate the time change this way every year with "the party that never happened" or "the keg that never existed." 

It took me a surprisingly long time and plenty of intense concentration to realize that that particular phenomenon can only occur in November, at the other end of Daylight Saving Time, when the clock falls back, providing the world with a do-over of the hour between 1AM and 2AM.  So, disappointed and feeling rather stupid, I went to sleep...but mark my words: when November rolls around, expect an awesome blog post that never existed.

When I woke up this morning, I realized just how many clocks I would have to set.  Two VCRs, a microwave, a stereo, two TVs, two wristwatches, two alarm clocks, and the clock in the Malibu. Thankfully, a few of the other gadgets, like the cell phone, which are smart enough to update themselves. Living in a small apartment, the sheer number of timepieces that surround me seems more than a little ridiculous, especially for someone who never has anywhere important to be.


Regardless, I'm more than happy to give up an hour of sleep for one night and reset thirty different clocks if I means I get months worth of extra light.  I'll take that trade any day--heck, I'll sacrifice two or three more hours tonight if it says light until 10PM starting tomorrow.  I'm already feeling energized, and it's the middle of the afternoon.  And, perhaps best of all, I'll have the perfect excuse for my lack of productivity at work tomorrow. 

Every year, I'm surprised by the number of people who complain about the time change.  I couldn't begin to count the number of people I heard complaining at work on Friday anytime someone mentioned the time change.  Yeah, the lost hour of sleep, but what's not to like about extra light?  It just doesn't make sense...unless...

No comments:

Post a Comment